So I didn’t get a chance to be online yesterday with everything going on, so I decided to make my Wacky Wednesday post a recipe post….since I missed tasty Tuesday! Anyway, my family and I LOVE burrito bowls, and I’m always trying to find new tasty, healthy ones. Here is a recipe we absolutely love. It’s from theglowingfridge.com.
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked (or rice – we like brown rice for ours)
- 6 cups chopped kale, de-stemmed
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1/4 cup hot sauce of your choice (I used a chili pepper sauce)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium sized pot, combine 2 cups of water with 1 cup of quinoa and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy.
- In a large salad bowl, add the kale and the onion.
- Once the quinoa is done cooking, add in the black beans and corn to the pot. Mix it up. You could just add these over the kale but I wanted to warm up the beans and corn. Add the quinoa mixture over the kale and mix.
- Prepare the dressing. Pour the dressing over the salad, mix and enjoy!
- Stays fresh in the refrigerator up to 2 days.
- Can replace quinoa with rice and add any additional veggies you like. Bell peppers, tomato, avocado etc.